Re: [opensuse] Registration in 10.1
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 09:35:30 +0200
On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 08:56:02AM +0200, houghi wrote:
> On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 08:19:45AM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > - You can restrict the information it sends on your
> > hardware and system to a minimum.
>
> For some people minimum is still too much, although it is very obvious
> that the data that is send has only statistical use. The moment you send
> somebody something, they will see your IP. The use for this is to see e.g.
> in what countries how much is downloaded.

The timezone is actually used to determine the mirror you get.

Just like before, except before it was done on every YOU call.

> That all said, it is very easy not to register by selecting 'later'.
> Naturaly by testing the internetconnection, you already give away your IP
> adress.

This has not changed from the previous versions, except we downloaded
the mirrorlist on every you start.

You could be behind a proxy too which hides your ip address.
Your provider likely has one.

Ciao, Marcus