Re: [opensuse] First impressions of SUSE 10.1
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 15:28:40 -0400

> > On Friday 12 May 2006 16:39, JD. Brown wrote:
> > > I really,really,really like it alot myself! I'm still waiting on my
> > > backorder box set but, I had to download this one to check it out. I
> > > think the boot time is fine and no weird bugs so far on three
> > > computers.
> >
> > Everything but the package management is great, no question about it..
> >
> > But the package manager will cause people a lot of trouble I'm afraid and will
> > haunt this release.
> >
> > I personally recommend people to stick with 10.0. I also think Novell should
> > consider to communicate that 10.1 is sort of an interim release that might
> > cause some problems. I'm afraid a lot of people will be disappointed and will
> > never use SUSE again..
> >
> > But perhaps I'm the only one with zmd, parse-metadata, zen and yast getting on
> > my nerves.. slow, ressource hungry, error messages constantly .. and
> > generally weird behaviour.
> >
> > Some of it might have to do with packman and guru not being completely in
> > place - and the inst-sources being under heavy load.. but definitely not all
> > of it..
> >
> > Of course I understand the background of all this - and I very much so have
> > faith in the future..
>
> I agree 100%. I find this version of the packagemanger very problematic.
> I love all the other stuff. I am probably going to stay with 10.0 on most
> of my systems because of this.

I heard that exact same thing when 10.0 came out.... "I'm sticking with 9.3
"..... And then when 9.3 came out "I'ms ticking with 9.0".....

Why is it that all these weird problems everyone has, it's never here on my
boxes? I install ti on WEIRD hardware, normal hardware, and laptops, and
never have any of these things.

-Allen