Re: [opensuse] First impressions of SUSE 10.1
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:00:34 -0700
Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> P.S: Please, all, share your first impressions.

I did a fresh install of 10.1 on my Toshiba Tecra m2 laptop, and everything
was improved and refined over RC1 as I expected.

The xgl setup seems to have been streamlined - after editing
/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager, running SuSEconfig, I logged into the gnome
desktop and added compiz and gnome-window-decorator to the startup programs,
but didn't have to do any compiz configuration via gconf-editor as that was
already set up perfectly without my involvement.

The gnome desktop with compiz is much faster than gnome has ever been on this
machine, including any past suse, fedora, or ubuntu distros.

I'm looking forward to running the quake 3 arena tests a bit later.

The wireless stuff seems improved at first glance, but I think there is still
opportunity to increase usability there.

All in all, it seems more polished, snappier and more sexy than 10.0

My Azureus is now spreading 10.1 goodness throughout the internet as we speak,
so to speak.

Joe