upgrade/update and new install
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 16:22:47 +0200
Hello,

I had already a RC3 and did not want to do an upgrade, so I asked for a new install.

however I didn't want eitehr to delete the /home content (petty empty, but...), so didn't format the partition.

the install used most of the old setups (pass, fstab, network).

This is nice, but may not be the expected behavior.

How can I know what have been replaced and what have not?

As I understanded the thing, the install should have simply installed files, overwriting similar files, letting alone supplementary ones. I was expecting a fresh install with some spare and may be unusefull files.

what is exactly the result?

I may have missed the info :-(, there is a warning on the "format" tab, but mostly about filesystem problem. it should be stated "if you don't format, the install will try to keep your settings as far as possible".

may be an other option: completely new settings or use of the provious one.

but, I repeat, this is mostly a good news

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net