Re: [opensuse] Upgrade RC1 to RC3?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:42:36 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2006-05-02 at 12:19 +0200, Michael Schroeder wrote:

> Yes, we thought about switching back to gzip instead of bzip2 (gzip
> is much faster). This would also make the installation a bit faster.
> But all the rpms are not only on the CDs, but the DVD as well, so
> that would mean dropping packages from the DVD. Thus we decided
> against it.

Ah! :-o I see...

Well, the bzip vs gzip is only an issue for the beta testing phase, when
we need deltas, not for the final. But having different compression method
depending of the phase (beta vs final) could be another can of worms, I
guess...

> Hey, maybe this is a good question for the community: would it be
> ok for you if we drop a couple of packages for faster installation?

Dependending on which packages! Each of us will have our own pet packages
we can do without, and some we want added.

Very dificult.

An extra add-on dvd (optional) perhaps?

- --
Cheers,