Re: [opensuse] Upgrade RC1 to RC3?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 21:47:06 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2006-05-01 at 19:21 +0200, Michael Schroeder wrote:

> > from half an hour to an hour for each CD (two phases, double time). It is
> > very CPU intensive, dunno why.
>
> Because the bzip2 de/re-compression eats up lots of cpu cycles...

Ah! That explains it. I knew that it handles a lot of data, but it didn't
somehow seem reasonable the time it used. Couldn't it use some other
faster compress method? Less compression, perhaps? I didn't see an option
in the man page for that.

Failing that, I could try recompiling the bzip binary optimizing for
pentium 4 instead of the default :-?

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson