Re: [SLE] Just installed SuSE 10
  • From: Peter Cannon <peterc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 09:50:43 +0100
On Saturday 01 April 2006 01:00, Cody Nelson wrote:

> I think is it somethign like that, I can play music cd's just fine. It
> is looking like suse doesn;t come wiht the ability to play any media
> formats, strange, but even workse is the huge list of crap I am having
> to go through to get it to play my anime and movies. I am about to
> pull my hair out over frustration, I have been using linux since 97
> off and on, mostly as servers. And I keep trying to switch to it as a
> desktop, but each tiem I hit walls of imposible frustration. what I
> call dependancy hell, there has to be an easier way, just look at whta
> I need

1st, I don't have a problem with you Cc: me directely but it would be better
to keep this on-list as others may use this thread as a means to solve their
issues.

2nd I think you need to start a new thread with your sound issue as these
mails will end up huge.

Having said that......

> rts not available

---<Cut>---

>     Conflict Resolution:
>         ( ) Do Not Install vlc
>         ( ) Ignore Conflict and Risk System Inconsistencies

I see you are trying to install vlc I take it you wish to use that as your
multi media app? Supposedly it works on SuSE however I haven't managed to get
it to install either via yast or by compiling it.

For all of my Music and Podcasts I use Amarok now this is where it gets fun by
default its set to use Helix but that dosent work you need to select Engine
in the left hand pane, on the right you should see some paths change them to
/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/common
/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/plugins
/usr/lib/RealPlayer10/codecs

You should have sound/music from either CD, MP3 files and Webcasts.

As for Movies I use MPlayer its never let me down on both SuSE and Fedora.

However I note that your output says 'rts not available' so that may point to
an underlying sound server issue.

Couple of things to try.
1. If not done already change your session to New so that it dosen't save your
current session it maybe that something you tried to do is popping up again
in the saved session, reboot your system, I know you only need to log out but
lets make absolutely sure.

2. Is the system sounds working do you have that enabled? If KDE startup is
working then I reckon you do. Lets not worry about playing that Gorillas
album just yet. If system sounds are working then that points to a player
issue.

----<End sound issue>----

> and I still have not been able to fix what suse did to my system to
> get back into windows.

Download Smart BootManager and put it on a floppy here is the link
http://btmgr.webframe.org/

Its very very good and got me out of trouble many-a-time stick the floppy in
and start the machine (Hopefully your BIOS is set to boot from floppy) when
you see the main screen do a fresh partition scan I think its ctrl h but
you'll find it, scroll to the section that you believe is the Windows and
press enter it should boot into Windows.

If it does then you need to fix the /mbr. thats whats causing the problem not
SuSE

If you have the XP disc (and XP is no longer on there/needed) boot of the XP
CD drop to a recovery console log in to C: (Not D: in your case) and
do /FIXMBR that will wipe and rebuild mbr next do restart change CD to SUSE
use the automatic recovery/fix feature let it do its own thing ie accept the
default settings and it should be sorted.

You need to clean up Windows first SuSe is trying to do the best it can with
the crap info your mbr is giving it :)

--
Regards
Peter Cannon