Introduction and Question
  • From: "Donald R. Bedsole" <dbedsole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 10:14:33 -0500
Hi,
I am new to SUSE. I was using the Fedora products, but decided to give SUSE a
try. I am using 10.0 and look forward to the new version when it is
released.
Here is my question. I do not know very much about the GPL, LGPL and how
these licenses work, and I'm sure this question will reflect it. I have the
evaluation version installed, and I noticed that Amarok (which is GPL) is set
up by default to use the Helix engine (also GPL?) and the RealPlayer codecs
(proprietary). I'm sure this is not a violation because Novell would not
ship it if it were. But why is this allowable? Maybe another way to ask
this is, what is acceptable when it comes to distributing and installing
proprietary software on Linux and what is not acceptable?