Re: [SLE] rsync syntax help
  • From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 22:36:42 +0200
Dave Howorth wrote:
Jim Cunning wrote:

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 14:53, Ken Schneider wrote:

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 13:56 -0800, Jim Cunning wrote:

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 13:34, Ken Schneider wrote:

1. -varpltz is overkill. Because -a implies -rpltzgoD, using -vaz would be sufficient.
2. -z doesn't make sense in the application you suggest, since both source and destination are "local" (neither contains a ':')
3. My preferred way to replicate/backup a directory (_and_ all its contents) is to do
rsync -e ssh -zvaP /path/to/source/directoryX backuphost:/path/to/backup/dir
I would expect to see 'directoryX' in /path/to/backup/dir
4. My version of your example would be
rsync -vaP /home/hylton /media/backup/home

Two other suggestions for the OP:

(1) don't forget the -n or --dry-run option if you're nervous
Nervous as hell :) but easing off after such fine critiques. Would I put the -n option in as another switch so that rsync would do all the other switches but only 'play play' ie not actually move data?

(2) if you're still nervous, try copying a small directory and checking the result before copying everything
That requires more /'s or lack thereof. I'll try a small directory like /etc :)

Don't worry, you won't lose the original data. If you don't like the result, just delete it and start again.
mmm Thanks. I'll sleep a whole lot better tonight after all it is only a copy of the data not a cut and move of the data. (sorry old Windows methods die VERY slowly here).

Hylton Conacher - Linux user # 229959 at http://counter.li.org
Currently using SuSE 9.2 Professional with KDE