Re: [SLE] Different Suse versions
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 15:35:36 -0800
On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:14 pm, Cody Nelson wrote:
> What is up with all the different Suse versions out there?
> I see:
> Open Suse
> Eval Suse (how is this different than open suse?)
> live eval Suse (eve boot)
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9
> Novell Linux Desktop 9
> SUSE Linux 10.0

Novell is just trying to keep up with Microsoft, who's going to eventually
have six different flavors of Wintendo.

I've heard rumors that it also may be part of a government conspiracy, but
since I wear my tinfoil hat every night to bed, I'm sure they're not going to
get me.

But to answer your question before the government invokes the patriot act on
me and sends in the KGB (formally known as the CIA)...

openSuse == Open Source version of SUSE Linux
Eval Suse == Evaluation version of Retail SUSE Linux
live eval Suse == Live/non permanant version of eval.
SLES 9 == Very pricy enterprise server-based version of Linux.
NLD9 == Enterprise version of SUSE without the bleeding edge software.
SUSE Linux 10.0 == Retail box of SUSE (what I run).

They will be removing the term "Novell Linux Desktop" with the next iteration
and calling it simply SUSE Enterprise. (NCC 1701 for short.)

HTH!!

HAND

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com
www.livebeans.com - the new NetBeans community

43...for those who require slightly more than
the answer to life, the universe and everything.