RE: [SLE] Introduction and Question
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 21:35:10 -0600

On Saturday, April 01, 2006 @ 11:11 AM, Kai wrote:
>On Saturday 01 April 2006 07:14 am, Donald R. Bedsole wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am new to SUSE. I was using the Fedora products, but decided to give
>> SUSE a try. I am using 10.0 and look forward to the new version when it
is
>> released.
>> Here is my question. I do not know very much about the GPL, LGPL and how
>> these licenses work, and I'm sure this question will reflect it. I have
>> the evaluation version installed, and I noticed that Amarok (which is
GPL)
>> is set up by default to use the Helix engine (also GPL?) and the
RealPlayer
>> codecs (proprietary). I'm sure this is not a violation because Novell
>> would not ship it if it were. But why is this allowable? Maybe another
>> way to ask this is, what is acceptable when it comes to distributing and
>> installing proprietary software on Linux and what is not acceptable?

>If the company allows free distribution - whether under GPL (like KDE),
LGPL
>(like Gnome?), or other licenses - then the company providing the
>distribution can release it.

Kai:

Not trying to steal the thread, but just wanted to ask a quick on-topic
follow up question. In this case, would it maybe be a matter of RealPlayer
allowing Amorok to distribute their binary along with their (Amorok's) own
open source product as a way to sort of "get the word out" about Realplayer
to some who might not otherwise have looked into their product?

Greg Wallace