RE: [SLE] Hotplugging for USB hard drive stopped working
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 00:01:09 -0500
At 10:26 PM 4/1/2006 -0600, Greg Wallace wrote:

/snip/
>>I am trying to do some data recovery on dying drives and I need this.
>>I just got a new box from MicroStar and I am trying to make it work with
>>all onboard equipment.  In my case it could be my drives are toast.

/snip/

There is a program, which I no longer know the name of, which promises
to salvage all usable data on any disk that still turns. One of my
compatriots at my former saltmine found it, and stole it from a
Russian website. It worked really well. (I wish I had a copy!)
I don't think it worked under Windows, I think it worked by itself.
Or maybe under a simplified DOS? This was at least 4 years ago.
The program was NOT Russian, but was stolen by Russians and put on
one of the websites that this former USSR citizen knew about.
I don't know if it would work for file systems other than
DOS/Windows, or even XP. Good luck finding it, and please advise what
happens! If you have no luck, I will try and contact him and ask for
details, altho he is reluctant to give out sources.

--doug