Re: [SLE] Do you buy the boxed set this time around?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 10:41:01 +0200
Greg Wallace wrote:

> Then again, I don't recall whether the downloads were actually a
> "legitimate" way of obtaining the product or not,

If downloading SUSE Linux was not legitimate, why would Novell be
offering that possibility? AFAI have understood, Novell/SUSE/Redhat
and other distro-vendors cannot charge anyone for the actual software
(because it doesn't belong to them), and instead they are somehow
obliged to make it freely available for download. I'm not sure exactly
how this works though - I don't recall Novell making SLES available for
download? SLES is effectively just another distro with a different
support scheme/model.

> though it would seem that Novell would not be in the business of
> giving away something they were simultaneously selling(?).

They're not. They're giving away the software/distro, but what they're
selling is their value-add (manual, support, packaging etc.).

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich