strange boot problem after YOU
  • From: Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 13:20:38 +0200
Hi everybody

As I don't need Windows anymore I freed the small partition where the rest of Win
was and installed SUSE 10.0 (downloaded version on CD's) a second time:
I wanted to have another SUSE install so that in case of "something happens"
to my running system I still have a bootable system.

Install went fine, I could boot the new (second) SUSE and the "normal" too.
Then I run YOU, among others installing the new kernel 2.6. But after reboot I get

Error 18: selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS

I found some explanations about this message, saying
"This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block address beyond
the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally happens if your disk is larger
than the BIOS can handle (512MB for (E)IDE disks on older machines or larger
than 8GB on others.). In more practical terms this means the BIOS is unable to start
executing the kernel because the kernel is not located within the block it can access
at boot up time."
(from http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/GRUB )

I understand that I should make a separate, small /boot partition in the first 1024 sectors.
But what I wonder about is:

- why does my "normal" SUSE 10 (same kernel, no separate /boot partition)
boot without any poblem?
- why did the new SUSE 10 boot easily before the YOU update?

This makes me think, thant it can't be a problem of the BIOS nor of the disk size...???

Here are some details that could maybe help to locate the problem:

- kernel used in both installations: 2.6.13-15.8-default
"old" (running) Suse 10.0 GRUB is installed in the MBR
"new" (non-booting) GRUB is installed in the boot sector of /dev/hda1
menu.lst (of "old System") looks like this:
-----------
color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd2,0)/boot/message

title SUSE LINUX 10.0
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdg1 vga=0x31a selinux=0 acpi=off resume=/dev/hde1 splash=verbose showopts
initrd /boot/initrd

title SUSE LINUX 10.0 (/dev/hda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x31a selinux=0 acpi=off resume=/dev/hde1 splash=verbose showopts
initrd /boot/initrd

title Diskette
chainloader (fd0)+1

title Failsafe -- SUSE LINUX 10.0
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdg1 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume selinux=0 nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
initrd /boot/initrd
---------------

fstab (of running system) looks like this:

/dev/hdg1 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/hda7 /eigene reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hde3 /home reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda6 /opt reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hde2 /srv reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda3 /tmp reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda2 /usr reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda5 /var reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda1 /suse10.0resc reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hde1 swap swap defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/dvd /media/dvd subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/hdb4 /media/zip auto noauto,user 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs noauto,fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0
/dev/hdg2 /fotosave reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
where /dev/hda1 (/suse10.0resc) is the partition of the new non-booting install

Can anybody tell me what was going wrong with the new install after YOU?
thanks for help.

Daniel
special interest site: http://www.bauer-nudes.com

< Previous Next >