Re: [SLE] Do you buy the boxed set this time around?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 07:39:45 -0400
Greg Wallace wrote:
> When 10.0 came out, there was much discussion about the fact that you no
> longer got the Admin manual, just a, more or less, SuSE Linux for Dummies
> User Guide (okay, maybe it's a little better than that (or not as good?)).
> Many people were saying they should have just downloaded the software and
> not bought the retail version, since many of them were buying the retail
> version, at least in part, because of the nice handy Admin manual that came
> with it (though the matter was then raised as to how someone should be
> paying something to Novell to support the efforts being made by to improve
> the product). I guess this whole issue will be front and center again with
> the upcoming release. Buy the boxed set, or download, that is the question.
> Then again, I don't recall whether the downloads were actually a
> "legitimate" way of obtaining the product or not, though it would seem that
> Novell would not be in the business of giving away something they were
> simultaneously selling(?).

Downloads are a legitimate way of obtaining SUSE. After all, that's why
they created the web site. Bear in mind however, that there are often
some non-GPL items in the package, which are not on the site. Given the
value I get from Linux, I have no problem buying the boxed set, if for
no other reason than to show my support for Linux.