Re: [SLE] password database
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:32:00 -0400
On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 16:01:03 -0600
Bob Schmidt <bob58523@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm having a problem with my computer running suse 10.0. I have it set up so
> that if it has been sitting for a while you need to enter your password to
> get back into the computer. It has been working fine for months, but all of a
> sudden yesterday when I went to get back on. I put in my password and it came
> back with a message that says "permissions on database may be to restrictive"
> and will not let me sign back into the computer.
Check the following.

The ownership of the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and /etc/group files
should be root.
The permission for passwd should be rw-r--r (and group).
The permission for shadow should be rw-r
passwd should be in root group, and shadow in shadow group.

The /etc directory would be rwxr-xr-x
Owned by root and in root group.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>