Re: [SLE] Do you buy the boxed set this time around?
  • From: "Harikrishnan T" <t.harikrishnan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 22:33:16 +0530
On 4/2/06, Greg Wallace <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When 10.0 came out, there was much discussion about the fact that you no
> longer got the Admin manual, just a, more or less, SuSE Linux for Dummies
> User Guide (okay, maybe it's a little better than that (or not as good?)).
> Many people were saying they should have just downloaded the software and
> not bought the retail version, since many of them were buying the retail
> version, at least in part, because of the nice handy Admin manual that
> came
> with it (though the matter was then raised as to how someone should be
> paying something to Novell to support the efforts being made by to improve
> the product). I guess this whole issue will be front and center again
> with
> the upcoming release. Buy the boxed set, or download, that is the
> question.
> Then again, I don't recall whether the downloads were actually a
> "legitimate" way of obtaining the product or not, though it would seem
> that
> Novell would not be in the business of giving away something they were
> simultaneously selling(?).

User manual is not provided in India. As usual, a card came along which
promises 90 days installation support, but there seems no facility to
register in the URL given (http://support.novell.com). My vendor was quite
surprised with the order, and offered OpenSUSE CDs for a fraction of the
cost. Maybe next time I will have to rethink.

Bye

--
One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men.
No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.