Re: [SLE] strange boot problem after YOU
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 13:41:00 -0400
On Sunday 02 April 2006 12:33, Anders Johansson wrote:
> When you install a package, where exactly it gets written on the
> partition isn't predetermined. The YOU update included an updated grub
> and/or kernel. It seems likely that before the update, they were placed
> where the BIOS could read them, but after the update they got placed
> elsewhere. If you have an old BIOS things like this can happen.

Hi Anders (grovel grovel) :-)

With all due respect (boatloads!) I don't think this is Daniel's problem.

First, he describes it as "the small partition." Since it is the first primary
on hda and it previously held a Windows installation, it probably has the
lowest cylinder range of all the partitions on that drive. Add to this the
fact that he was able to boot the installation before applying the updates
and it looks (to me, anyway) more like the kernel update, itself, got
mangled.

It is possible that the installer became confused by the de facto 'mirror'
installation residing on hdg. In my mind, in aggregate, all of these factors
combine to rule out the liklihood that this is a true "out of BIOS address
range" scenario.

And, from what he's written, it also looks like he applied the kernel patch
concurrently with the other patches. That is almost always a recipe for
trouble like this.

I'd like to know what the system 'looks like' to the other installation before
I formulate or recommend a course of action. That's why I've asked Daniel to
post the other fstab.

Hope all is going well for you!

regards,

Carl