Need to know how to mount subfs defined floppy as reg user
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 13:04:00 -0500
I know this has been discussed on this list before, but I didn't realize it
applied to me, but it does. If I try to mount a floppy as a regular user I
get the message --

"only root can mount /dev/fd0 on /media/floppy"

I hadn't tried accessing a floppy as a regular user before and didn't
realize this limitation was there. /dev/fd0 is set up as type subfs in
fstab. I assume that if I made that auto instead I could get this to work,
but I'd like to try to leave it subfs and work within that framework, if
possible. Can someone tell me how to accomplish this? I would hope there
would be an option I could simply put on that fstab line to allow regular
users to mount a floppy, but fear I will have to go into some subfs XML file
and make code changes to accomplish this (hope I'm wrong). Any help greatly
appreciated.

Greg Wallace