RE: [SLE] Do you buy the boxed set this time around?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 23:38:05 +0200
On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 16:14 -0500, Greg Wallace wrote:
> Though the packaging is also valuable, right? SuSE, Red Hat, etc. tie
> everything together in their distro. There's value in that above and beyond
> the value of the individual open source components therein, right?

Depends on what you mean by packaging. If you mean the work done to
package up the software into rpms, then yes, certainly. There is a lot
of work done to incorporate patches, to see to it that things work
together nicely. There is also a security team who perform audits on
critical software, and they have been known to locate security problems
which were unpatched in the upstream project

It's a lot of work and obviously this is a value-add compared to
downloading the individual tar.gz packages from the projects

But if you're talking about the CDs as opposed to downloadable iso
images, or downloading the rpms from our web site (or a mirror)
individually, then the value-add is more a matter of taste. It's nice to
have the DVD around, especially when you want to install on someone
else's machine

I think the topic of discussion was between buying the software as
opposed to downloading the rpms/ISO images for free. Then the main value
add is the support you get when you buy it