RE: [SLE] Do you buy the boxed set this time around?
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 20:30:01 -0500
On Sunday, April 02, 2006 @ 4:38 PM, Anders Johansson wrote:

>On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 16:14 -0500, Greg Wallace wrote:
>> Though the packaging is also valuable, right? SuSE, Red Hat, etc. tie
>> everything together in their distro. There's value in that above and
beyond
>> the value of the individual open source components therein, right?

>Depends on what you mean by packaging. If you mean the work done to
>package up the software into rpms, then yes, certainly. There is a lot
>of work done to incorporate patches, to see to it that things work
>together nicely. There is also a security team who perform audits on
>critical software, and they have been known to locate security problems
>which were unpatched in the upstream project

>It's a lot of work and obviously this is a value-add compared to
>downloading the individual tar.gz packages from the projects

>But if you're talking about the CDs as opposed to downloadable iso
>images, or downloading the rpms from our web site (or a mirror)
>individually, then the value-add is more a matter of taste. It's nice to
>have the DVD around, especially when you want to install on someone
>else's machine

>I think the topic of discussion was between buying the software as
>opposed to downloading the rpms/ISO images for free. Then the main value
>add is the support you get when you buy it

Anders:

I was talking about the former, and I think that's the key to why it is
worth paying for the boxed set. You're making a contribution to the effort
that's being made in that area. If you are unhappy with a distro, send your
money to another distro. On the other hand, if the distro makes some or all
of their product available for free via download, and what's offered suits
your needs, then that's fine too.

Greg Wallace