Re: [SLE] FTP dvd image, was Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 08:38:44 +0200
lerninlinux@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have a system that I built as just a network server (no cd/dvd) and

I run a number of systems purely as servers - they all have a CDROM
drive. I think they all have floppy-drives too, but I'm not certain.
Not to say you need to do that, but it's pretty handy in many
situations. (none of these boot from USB, otherwise I probably would
have been experimenting with putting the installation on a USB-stick).

> was wondering about doing an ftp install. Couldn't I copy the dvd to
> a drive in my network, and ftp from the server to it, for an install?

Something like that, but how are you going to start the install system?
You'll need to boot that from somewhere. Maybe use the mini-boot-iso
on a USB-stick? (I don't know if that'll work).

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich