Re: [SLE] FTP dvd image, was Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:31:08 +0200
Graham Smith wrote:

> I have set up an Installation Server using the retail DVD, which is
> quite simple to setup using Yast.
>
> To install a new computer I just use a boot CD to start an
> installation via NFS. (I used the boot image off the DVD to create the
> boot CD)

Pretty much what I do too. I just use CD1 to boot off. Not having the
CDROM drive to boot from is too much hassle, IMHO. But I'd be tempted
to try to put the mini-boot-iso on a USB stick.

> If you have a few systems to install I suggest you look at the
> SuSE-Autoinstall function, with this you can define the software to be
> installed as well as alter the config scripts to suit your
> installation. You will find good support via the
> suse-autoinstall@xxxxxxxx mailing list.

I have toyed with using autoyast a couple of times, and although it
would be pretty handy, I don't really do enough installs to warrant the
effort in setting it up etc.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich