Re: [SLE] Need to know how to mount subfs defined floppy as reg user
  • From: Jos van Kan <vankan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:33:32 +0200
Greg Wallace wrote:
I know this has been discussed on this list before, but I didn't realize it
applied to me, but it does. If I try to mount a floppy as a regular user I
get the message --

"only root can mount /dev/fd0 on /media/floppy"

I hadn't tried accessing a floppy as a regular user before and didn't
realize this limitation was there. /dev/fd0 is set up as type subfs in
fstab.

If it is subfs, you don't have to mount it. Stick it in and start to use it. Yeah. like the OS_THAT_SHALL_NOT_BE_NAMED.

If everything is allright, the line in fstab should read something like
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs noauto,fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0

The sync parameter sees to it, that you can take the floppy out without unmounting too, because there is no buffered stuff that still needs to be written.

Regards,
--
Jos van Kan registered Linux user #152704