Re: [SLE] Why no Reply-to?
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:32:56 -0400
* ken <gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [04-03-06 08:22]:
> It might be another good idea to notify people who may want to
> subscribe to this list that probably they'll need to change email
> clients in order to accommodate how this list is set up.

This is a 'chicken little - the sky is falling' statement. It merely
requires that the user understand the operation of his chosen email
client and then to use it properly.

> This information would give them warning that they may have to download
> and probably will have to configure an email client especially for this
> list. We could also point them to this thread to show them how all
> this makes sense.

Completely false.

> > No, not 'Reply-To', but a List-Reply function that recognizes a
> > mailing list and replies to the 'List'.
>
> And we should point them to the place in the the relevant RFCs where it
> explains this.

This is not an RFC, but a *feature* offered by particular email
clients. Other email clients have features not offered by these
particular clients.

> If someone is using Windows and is considering using suse and wants to
> use this list to find out about suse, which email client should we tell
> them to use... one that runs on Windows?

Any that they prefer, they need to understand how to reply to the list
rather than the poster.

> Apparently Thunderbird needs to be fixed to work "suitably" on this
> list. How is this done? Are changes to the source code required?

It will never be 'suitable' until *you* understand it's operation.

> This is correct-- I mean, that T-bird isn't
> suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It certainly is, but is feature lacking and it's operator does not want
to use it properly or does not understand or refuses to apply it's
proper usage.