Re: [SLE] Do you buy the boxed set this time around?
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:48:11 -0400
On Sunday 02 April 2006 9:30 pm, Greg Wallace wrote:
> On Sunday, April 02, 2006 @ 4:38 PM, Anders Johansson wrote:
> >On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 16:14 -0500, Greg Wallace wrote:
> >> Though the packaging is also valuable, right? SuSE, Red Hat, etc.
> >> tie everything together in their distro. There's value in that
> >> above and
>
> beyond
>
> >> the value of the individual open source components therein, right?

<snip>

> I was talking about the former, and I think that's the key to why
> it is worth paying for the boxed set. You're making a contribution
> to the effort that's being made in that area. If you are unhappy
> with a distro, send your money to another distro. On the other hand,
> if the distro makes some or all of their product available for free
> via download, and what's offered suits your needs, then that's fine
> too.
well, there is also the major problem for lots of folks that no "fat
pipe is available" Well, unless one wants to buy Hughesnet or similar..
and believe me that will keep many folks suffering on low bandwidth
phone lines forever.

Downloading just the updates each week takes all damned day when you
only have a phone line , or <shudder> wireless or blue tooth , Who in
heck told folks that was a fast access system anyway? Nevermind, I
really don't need to know ;-/