Re: [SLE] Do you buy the boxed set this time around?
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 17:09:07 -0400
On Monday 03 April 2006 5:29 am, Chaitanya Chalasani wrote:
> On Sunday 02 April 2006 09:32, Greg Wallace wrote:
> > When 10.0 came out, there was much discussion about the fact that
> > you no longer got the Admin manual, just a, more or less, SuSE
> > Linux for Dummies User Guide (okay, maybe it's a little better than
> > that (or not as good?)). Many people were saying they should have
> > just downloaded the software and not bought the retail version,
> > since many of them were buying the retail version, at least in
> > part, because of the nice handy Admin manual that came with it
> > (though the matter was then raised as to how someone should be
> > paying something to Novell to support the efforts being made by to
> > improve the product). I guess this whole issue will be front and
> > center again with the upcoming release. Buy the boxed set, or
> > download, that is the question. Then again, I don't recall whether
> > the downloads were actually a "legitimate" way of obtaining the
> > product or not, though it would seem that Novell would not be in
> > the business of giving away something they were simultaneously
> > selling(?).
> >
> > Greg Wallace
>
> I Have been buying the suse box through online order from suse and
> novel since 9.0 and I will definitly go for the box for 10.1 as well.
> I never ever used the user and admin manuals so doesn't matter for me
> if the ship the manual along with the software or not.

Anders, guess this is where you slip messages into the "suggestion box"
Perhaps they can offer it as a two boxed sets w/ and w/o manuals ??
That ought to be simple enough for folks to figure out which box they
wanted. I kinda had the feelings that they dropped the "naming
convention " because folks were confused by Pro appellation. I know
there were always complaints about the name "home" version , even if I
didn't understand the why of the complaints.

want to wander the bleeding edge? Get MS Windows and see how long it
takes to have your banking info to be compromised .