Siig / initio inic1620 sata controller driver?
  • From: "Steve Jacobs" <stevetjacobs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:37:06 -0400
I've purchased a pair of SATA (SATA 3Gb/s, actually) hard drives, with
plans to build a SUSE 10 server around them.

Last week I bought a Siig SATA II-150 PCI controller card to use with
them. I clearly recall verifying Linux-compatibility before buying the
card, but that now seems to be a complete hallucination. As of last
night, I find no reference anywhere online that indicates I can use
this controller card with Linux.

I can find no linux driver for the card. I've emailed Siig, as well as
Initio (the chipset manufacturer), and neither has plans for a linux
driver.

At this point I'm assuming that's $40 down the drain, but thought I'd
see if anybody here could offer any possibility for this card I
haven't considered.

A) Maybe I've missed an online resource somewhere, and there is in
fact a driver that will work with this card? While Suse is my first
choice, I'm not opposed to using a different distro if necessary.

B) I have absolutely no idea how easy or difficult it is to write a
device driver, especially if the hardware/API isn't publically
documented. Is there a particular group of coders that take up
'wish-list' requests like this? (I assume not.)

If I'm somewhat bright, and good at figuring out logic puzzles, but
have practically no programming experience, is it ridiculous to
consider the possibility of writing a device driver myself? I assume
so; I have no idea where to even begin with such a thing.

Thanks,
Steve