Re: [SLE] Could not mount device. floppy problem?
  • From: Russbucket <russbucket@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 10:17:29 -0700
On Saturday 25 March 2006 12:47, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Saturday 2006-03-25 at 17:54 +0700, C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> > Tried as as root and got the information;
> >
> > :/home/cons # mount /media/floppy
> >
> > mount: unknown filesystem type 'subfs'
> >
> > My fstab has following info about the floppy;
> >
> > /dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs
> > noauto,fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0
>
> That fstab line is intended for automatically mounting the floppy. Simply
> reading from "/media/floppy" will mount it.
>
> If you want manually mount, use something like this:
>
> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user 0 0
>
> > Additional info; I am running 9.3 on a Pentium II with KDE 3.5.
>
> If you want to disable automount:
>
> Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 02:30:19 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Carlos E. R.
> Subject: Re: [SLE] automounting of Floppy 9.3 [solved: NOT automounting]
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson
Carlos since I was having a simular problem I made the changes you suggested
to fstab:
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,users 0 0
and also changed the group on floppy to users instead of root and changed the
permissions to 755 (as root). I then rebooted and the group and permissions
are changed back to:
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2006-04-04 09:47 floppy

I rebooted and then tried the floppy. I get a message about mtab saying it is
already mounted. mtab contains:

/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,fs=floppyfss,procuid 0 0
If I right click on the desktop floppy icon it says the floppy is unmounted.

If I go back to the original fstab setting I can use the floppy from kmymoney
and konqueror (as user) but not from the mycomputer or floppy Icons on the
desktop.

Do I need to remove the floppy statement from mtab?
Sorry to be a pest but I've tried everything suggested, if I did it right.
This all started when I did a clean install of SUSE 10.0 to a new harddisk.
It was working on the old disk with 10.0.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks.
--
Russ