RE: [SLE] YAST2/YOU Control
  • From: "Chiu, PCM (Peter)" <P.C.M.Chiu@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:10:18 +0100
Thanks a lot, Kai, most helpful.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: kai [mailto:kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 31 March 2006 13:50
To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [SLE] YAST2/YOU Control

On Friday 31 March 2006 03:03 am, Chiu, PCM (Peter) wrote:
> Two questions really:
>
> a. where can I get more details in the setting up the control on YAST2

> - YOU in particular?
> Both the man page on yast2 and the document refered in
> /usr/share/doc/packages/yast2
> do not give more details in controller how the online update is
> handled.
>
> b. On a system that I have previously configured to have automated
> updates from yast2,
> I would like to disable one product from being updated. I am not
> convinced the way
> I did it have actually taken into effect. Basically from Yast2,
> on-line update,
> manually selected patches, next, searrch (as the one in question
> does not
> show up in the YOU Patches), found a grey-out product, select it,
> then
> from You Patch tab- All in this list - Protected - Do not modify.
> (Here I noticed the icon has not been changed.)

I think you should have it.

If you want to be sure, go into YaST2 under System > Software Management
and find the application you want to not be updated.

When it shows up on the list in the right pane, right-click it and
select Proected -- Do Not Modify.

You can certainly test this with something innocuous if you want to be
sure.
For example get an old RPM of some unimportant game and then protect it
then do a YOU to see that it doesn't update.
--
kai - www.perfectreign.com
www.livebeans.com - the new NetBeans community

43...for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the
universe and everything.