Re: [SLE] Stopping spam to postmaster@ account?
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:18:17 +0200
Sandy Drobic wrote:
david rankin wrote:

I could also mention the restriction "reject_unknown_hostname", although only postmaster that really hate spam more than they love their wanted mail would consider to apply that restriction. (^-^)

Don't laugh, I tested it (^-^)

Okay, I won't... bwa ha ha ha!!

I considered it for about 5 minutes myself. A grep on my log for unknown clients and a check if the mail I got from that client was spam or not yielded a sufficient amount of misconfigured systems that we could not reject. I just saw that it should be "reject_unknown_client" or "reject_unknown_client_hostname" for version 2.3.

reject_unknown_helo_hostname (for postfix v. 2.2 reject_unknown_hostname) will reject the client if the HELO name the client submitted has no mx or a record.

You could also try this one if you are already testing:

smtpd_helo_restrictions =
permit_mynetworks,
# check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/client_whitelist
warn_if_reject reject_invalid_hostname
warn_if_reject reject_unknown_hostname

/etc/postfix/client_whitelist:
10.0.0.12 PERMIT
mail.example.com PERMIT

Do not use check_helo_access to whitelist a helo name! The helo name is under the control of the submitting client. You can use the same whitelist mechanism for reject_unknown_client.

For the HELO restriction it should work. Though there are some regular servers that will be caught by that restriction.

Sandy
--
List replies only please!