Re: [SLE] YAST2/YOU Control
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:22:31 -0400
On Friday 31 March 2006 7:49 am, kai wrote:
> On Friday 31 March 2006 03:03 am, Chiu, PCM (Peter) wrote:
> > Two questions really:
> >
> > a. where can I get more details in the setting up the control on
> > YAST2 - YOU in particular?
> > Both the man page on yast2 and the document refered in
> > /usr/share/doc/packages/yast2
> > do not give more details in controller how the online update is
> > handled.
> >
> > b. On a system that I have previously configured to have automated
> > updates from yast2,
> > I would like to disable one product from being updated. I am
> > not convinced the way
> > I did it have actually taken into effect. Basically from Yast2,
> > on-line update,
> > manually selected patches, next, searrch (as the one in question
> > does not
> > show up in the YOU Patches), found a grey-out product, select
> > it, then
> > from You Patch tab- All in this list - Protected - Do not
> > modify. (Here I noticed the icon has not been changed.)
>
> I think you should have it.
>
> If you want to be sure, go into YaST2 under System > Software
> Management and find the application you want to not be updated.
>
> When it shows up on the list in the right pane, right-click it and
> select Proected -- Do Not Modify.
>
> You can certainly test this with something innocuous if you want to
> be sure. For example get an old RPM of some unimportant game and then
> protect it then do a YOU to see that it doesn't update.
You are right about the protected stuff. Occasionally I have to "
unprotect " ( choose the update /lightning bolt, if that is what the
icon is supposed to be ) When a new "problem" appears and a patch shows
up... w/o changing the icon from the padlock to lightning bolt nada
happens. Gets me every now and then when I forget that Yast has marked
something as protected when I install an rpm that is newer than the
approved version.. ( Synaptic upgrades especially )

Life gets crazy, sometimes , don't it ?

It's " limin' time" kiddies. Time to hit the hammocks .. have those
tall drinks on ice by the Palms ... listen to the splashin' of the
waves on the shore. Reggae music on the box. And always remember to
call for "Boat Drinks" next !