Re: [SLE] DMA in SUSE Linux?
  • From: Peter Nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:50:41 +0100
On Wednesday 05 April 2006 07:57, John D Lamb wrote:
> Bryan S. Tyson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 April 2006 11:02 pm, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> >>Does (SUSE) Linux have this Direct Memory Access (DMA) thing or not?
> >>Windows seems to have it, and while I am not saying that Linux should
> >> have everything Windows does, I find that accessing optical discs from
> >> Linux is somewhat slower than from Windows.
> >
> > You can turn on dma by typing this command:
> > hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd
>
> Or use YaST > Hardware > IDE DMA mode.
>
> I think these modes are usually set correctly on setup anyway.
>
> --
> JDL

If it's a cd or dvd device you will most likley find it off by default and
need to use Yast as above to turn dma mode on the optical drives ON ..

Pete .

--
The Labour party has changed there emblem from a rose to a condom
as it more accuratley reflects the governments political stance.

A condom allows for inflation halts production destroys the next gereration,
protects a bunch of pricks, and givesyou a sense of security while you are
actually bieng fucked

from GSM

< Previous Next >