Re: [SLE] ...packages/SOURCES: getting full?; prod588.spec vs prod.spec; security concerns
  • From: Philipp Thomas <list-only-please@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:31:12 +0200
* Linda Walsh (suse@xxxxxxxxx) [20060404 06:22]:

> How would it cause any disruption? Let alone, major?

It would be a major deviation from the way rpm works and Novell/SUSE is not
going to do something like that all alone. Again, you've picked the wrong
list to discuss a topic. The right address for something like this would be
rpm-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> In SuSE 9.3, I count 265 different names that are duplicated
> in two or more packages. All told, 503 duplicate names.

Inside a .src.rpm? A normal .src.rpm contains one or more tarballs, a .spec
.file, a changes file and varying numbers of patches.

> If there is no parallelism in distribution builds, this may not
> be an issue for those builds, but for anyone unwrapping, looking
> at, and/or building more than one RPM at a time on the same
> machine, it's a potential pitfall.

Then do it differently! For instance don't install the .src.rpm but rather
unpack it where you like and write a script that cleans
/usr/src/packages/SOURCES and then copies your sources there. That's the way
the build script basically works (it also sets up a chroot environment to
build the packages in).

Philipp