Re: [SLE] The future of Mandrake as we knew it. Switch to SuSE.
  • From: SOTL <sotl155360@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:42:11 -0400
On Wednesday 05 April 2006 09:03 am, nicola .:kOoLiNuS:. losito wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 04/04/2006 alle 21.22 -0700, kai ha scritto:
> > By the way, not to take this too off-topic, but I just got the April
> > Linux-Magazine Pro and it includes the DVD for Mandriva One. They had
> > shipped Mandriva 2005 in the middle of last year.
> >
> > I'll take it for a spin, as it is live.
>
> you'll find a distro much more "unpolished" than SUSE actually is ...

Consider most such disks are made from downloading and modifying slightly
public available distributions.

For example I purchased a SuSE book that had SuSE10.0 in it. What I found was
that the included disk contained a version of SuSE10.0 that was neither the
OpenSuSE 10.0 version or the official SuSE 10.0 version but a modified
version that would not up date by either OpenSuSE of official SuSE as it had
been modified...

Considering this what I suspect you have is this type of distribution.

Now realize that Mandriva does not post it's latest version openly only a beta
version. The current version is only available if you pay a yearly
subscription fee equal to the fee that SuSE charge for a box set in which you
get the books and the disks.

Also consider, Mandrake before the merger was not noted for the quality of its
software; apparently the could never manage to get over about 95% operating
at any one time as on updates breakage was just about equal to fixes. As far
as I can figure Mandrake 10.1 was the last usable distribution developed. The
later versions appear to have nothing but file updates of the 10.1.

Another point, is that there was a lot of discontent on the Mandriva BB; that
is there was up-until a few months ago. Since then traffic has halved.

My personal opinion of this is !@#$%^&* followed by a clinking sound of trash
hitting the bottom of the circular bin.

SOTL