Re: [SLE] How to make shortcuts?
  • From: Avraham Hanadari <hanadari@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:09:13 +0300
kevin.kempter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wednesday 05 April 2006 09:19, Avraham Hanadari wrote:
I seem to have installed Thunderbird, but I can't get a shortcut icon to
appear in the K Menu. I installed the RPM for Nvu, and an icon was
placed in the Menu. The file for Thunderbird was a tar.gz. I expanded
the gz and clicked on the she file to install. It didn't seem like
anything happened, but when I click on a file called just Thunderbird
(not the traditional icon) the program opens, and I'm writing in it
now. Is the program actually installed? Where should it be physically.
How can I instruct SuSE to make a shortcut icon where I want it?

Thanks in advance.

Avraham

Try typing this at the command line:
which thunderbird

you should get a response like /usr/bin/thunderbird or some similar path

Right clich on the K-menu start icon and go to menu editor. You can add an entry where you want for thunderbird, add the path for the command. There is a button to click that will change the icon as well, click the current icon and you'll be taken to a list of icons to choose from. The traditional thunderbird icons should be there

Thanks to Chuck and Kevin. When I entered which thunderbird in the Konsole or in Run Command, there was no response. I guess I have not actually installed the program. Why it is working is more than I can understand. Back to the drawing board and trying to install the program. I downloaded the tar.gz to /home/ahanadari/thunderbird-1.5/thunderbird. I expanded the gz to the same folder (ahanadari). It's right there when I open it to write this. I suspect it should be in usr/bin together with Firefox. What to do now?

Avraham

< Previous Next >