Re: [SLE] [OT] Another good windows glitch - like we needed another one.
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:07:18 -0500
On Thu, 2006-04-06, Art Fore Wrote
>On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 07:35 -0400, Michael W Cocke wrote:
>> I'm trying to laugh about this because the alternative will be to kick
>> my computer off the roof.
>>
>> I need to run XP occasionally so I have a dual-boot config. This
>> morning I tried to boot Win XP and was told 'windows needs to be
>> activated' - and it wouldn't log me in. I did that last year and I
>> haven't changed anything, but what the hell - I have a legal copy, so
>> I clicked yes. Then it said 'this copy of windows is already
>> activated' and logged me off... rebooted - and the same thing. It
>> won't let me log in and it won't activate. I have to reinstall from
>> scratch AGAIN! What a design. <sigh>
>>
>> Mike-
>> --
>> If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
>> --
>> Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed
>> site-wide spam filters at catherders.com. If email from you bounces,
>> try non-HTML, non-encoded, non-attachments,
>>
>If you are connected to the internet, it might be there is another
>machine that is using the same serial that you are. For example, if you
>install XP on one machine, then using the same disk and install on
>another machine, the first machine that is logged on to the internet
>will get the registration, any other machine where XP was installed with
>the same disk would refuse to operate. They don't even have to be on the
>internet, if they are on the same network it can happen. We had this
>problem at a former company I was at.

>Isn't that nice of Microsoft?

>Art

Reading this post, and going back to some earlier posts about what's on a
SuSE boxed set CD (GPL + Proprietary apps.) and what's available for
download (just GPL), would it be legitimate to let a friend install SuSE
from your purchased CD? I don't recall whether Novell required me to
register my 10.0 product when I installed it, but, just the same, for any
parties/companies who have allowed Novell to include their proprietary
software as part of the SuSE boxed set, they would, in essence, be losing
revenue when a single set of DVD's is passed around among friends (assuming
they're getting a buck or two off of each boxed set sold). Then again,
maybe I misunderstood those earlier posts regarding the proprietary products
on the boxed set DVD's vs the downloads only having non-proprietary
software.

Greg Wallace

< Previous Next >