Creating manual bootloader entries in YaST
  • From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:40:44 +0530
Hello people.

I've installed Fedora 5 and ZenWalk 2.4 alongside my default-boot SUSE 10.0
for testing purposes. I did not want to disturb my SUSE GRUB so I told
Fedora's and ZenWalk's installers not to install any boot-loader. Now I am
unable to boot into them without a boot-loader entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst

I am however at a loss how to create the entries. The YaST bootloader setup
asks for:

Kernel
Initial RAM Disk
Root Device
VGA Mode
Other Kernel Parameters

However I don't know what to give as entries. Fedora is located at /dev/sda9
and ZenWalk at /dev/sda10. This is the only HDD on my system, so I presume
the GRUB IDs would be hd(0,8) and hd(0,9) -- but beyond that I know not what
to do.

Last time when I installed Fedora 4, I used the SUSE installation DVD's repair
feature to create a new boot loader -- and that feature automatically
identified and created an entry for Fedora 4. But now it does not detect
Fedora 5, or ZenWalk.

Please advise. Thanks.

--

Tux #395953 resides at http://samvit.org
playing with KDE 3.52 on SUSE Linux 10.0

< Previous Next >