RE: [SLE] Creating manual bootloader entries in YaST
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:38:02 -0500
On Wednesday, April 05, 2006 @ 10:11 PM, Shriramana Sharma wrote:

>Hello people.
>
>I've installed Fedora 5 and ZenWalk 2.4 alongside my default-boot SUSE 10.0

>for testing purposes. I did not want to disturb my SUSE GRUB so I told
>Fedora's and ZenWalk's installers not to install any boot-loader. Now I am
>unable to boot into them without a boot-loader entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst

>I am however at a loss how to create the entries. The YaST bootloader setup

>asks for:

>Kernel
>Initial RAM Disk
>Root Device
>VGA Mode
>Other Kernel Parameters

>However I don't know what to give as entries. Fedora is located at
/dev/sda9
>and ZenWalk at /dev/sda10. This is the only HDD on my system, so I presume
>the GRUB IDs would be hd(0,8) and hd(0,9) -- but beyond that I know not
what
>to do.

>Last time when I installed Fedora 4, I used the SUSE installation DVD's
>repair
>feature to create a new boot loader -- and that feature automatically
>identified and created an entry for Fedora 4. But now it does not detect
>Fedora 5, or ZenWalk.

>Please advise. Thanks.

>--

>Tux #395953 resides at http://samvit.org
>playing with KDE 3.52 on SUSE Linux 10.0
>$ date [] CCE +2006-04-06 W14-4 UTC+0530

Shriramana:

Here's some ideas straight off of the top of my head (may not be worth
much). You can look at your /boot/grub/menu.lst (assuming you use grub) to
see how it handled Fedora 4. That will give you an idea of what sort of
entries to enter for Fedora 5. If it's pretty basic, you should be able to
just create another line more or less like it for your Fedora 5. If it
contains specifics, then use the Fedora 5 CD to boot into that system and
dig for the information you'll need to make the appropriate grub
modification. As for Zenwalk, since you have no previous entry in grub to
guide you, you may just have to boot it from its installation CD and take a
look. If it seems to follow a similar pattern as SuSE and Fedora, you might
be able to hack your way to a valid grub entry via some trial and error.
Having said all of this, if you use Lilo instead of Grub, I'm not sure if
the same approach would work. Beyond that, maybe there's a better approach,
but maybe this will stimulate additional ideas on your end. Meanwhile,
maybe someone else can give you a better approach (solution?).

Greg Wallace