Re: [SLE] Creating manual bootloader entries in YaST
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 23:59:11 -0400
On 06/04/05 23:10 (GMT-0400) Shriramana Sharma apparently typed:

> I've installed Fedora 5 and ZenWalk 2.4 alongside my default-boot SUSE 10.0
> for testing purposes. I did not want to disturb my SUSE GRUB so I told
> Fedora's and ZenWalk's installers not to install any boot-loader. Now I am
> unable to boot into them without a boot-loader entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Naturally. Not installing any boot loader at all makes no sense
whatsoever. You should always install a distro's native boot loader
somewhere. With multiboot, additional distros should always have their
boot loaders installed to their /, or, if you use one, their /boot. This
gives you the flexibility to later switch any you choose to the mbr if
you wish, or to use any boot loader you choose, no matter the type or
source. When you install to the / or /boot, you know exactly the
required grub or lilo entries that OS installer felt appropriate for the
distro, and they can easily be copied to any of the boot loader config
files for any of the other distros you have installed.
--
"Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but
rather expose them." Ephesians 5:11 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409