Odd message pops up everytime I click on home directory and other icons
  • From: Gil Weber <gil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 22:00:02 -0400
I was trying to get mpgs to play using Kaffeine 0.8.1-0 on my laptop
(SuSE 10.0). Never successful, but I must have clicked on something
without realizing it, for now every time I click on my home directory
icon a warning box pops us (actually up to 5 instances of the same box)
that says:

Sorry
Could not find mime type application/octet-stream.

If I then click on that warning box it goes away and the home directory
opens.

Similarly, if I click on the icon for the KDE Control Center I get a
pop-up box that says:

Sorry - Control Center
Could not find mime type application/octet-stream.

When I click OK on that box it goes away and the KDE Control Center
opens.

K3B, Kontact, KMail, and Kaffeine all do the same thing. Other programs
such as gFTP and KsCD do not give me the pop-up warning box.

Can anyone help me eliminate this very annoying problem?

After that we'll try to figure out why the heck Kaffeine can't be
associated with .mpg or .mpeg video clips in the file association
section of KDE Components in the Control Center.

Thanks!
Gil