Re: [SLE] cron not recognizing changes to /etc/cron.d files
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 18:45:41 -0800
On Thursday 06 April 2006 7:37 pm, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx> [04-06-06 22:29]:
> > The work machine doesn't seem to be recognizing changes made to
> > cron files in /etc/cron.d, that is, a RELOAD of the changed file never
> > happens and doesn't show in the log. I basically have to rccron restart
> > to get the cron daemon to use the new file.
>
> What command are you issueing to edit cron?

On both boxes, I tend to use either kate or mcedit to edit these
files. I just edited one on my home box (the one that works) using
mcedit, cron detected the change and did a RELOAD of the changed
file within a minute, here's the log entry

Apr 6 19:45:01 helphand /usr/sbin/cron[7027]: (*system*) RELOAD
(/etc/cron.d/seccheck)

Scott

--
Ab urbe condita