Re: [SLE] new SUSE 10 install - Linux RAID - kernel panic - only starts in failsafe
  • From: "Steve Jacobs" <stevetjacobs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 01:48:30 -0400
On 4/6/06, Theo v. Werkhoven <twe-suse.e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wed, 05 Apr 2006, by stevetjacobs@xxxxxxxxx:

> > At boot, the system experiences a Kernel Panic and halts prior to completely
> > booting up. The last few lines displayed before things hang are:

> [..]
> > Using the RAID button I created a RAID1 volume of each 'partition-pair',
> > formatting the 1G as swap, and the other 2 partitions as Reiserfs.
> >
> > I believe/suspect that md0 is the swap partition.
> >

> Don't put swap on a RAID. It'll kill performance and won't do
> anything for data-security anyway. Just select both 1G partitions
> for use as swap, Linux will then use both swaps round-robin.
> The procedure for software RAID is easy; make partitions, designate
> type FD (Linux raid auto) to the RAID partitons, make RAID drives,
> make filesystems, install.
>
> Theo

Theo -

I repartitioned, creating 2 separate, 1Gig swap partitions, and only
RAID'ing the root and home partitions.

All works perfectly now. For the last hour I've been browsing for
rootkit revealers/repairers (to fix a client's PC), listening to a
Wilco CD with Kaffeine, and burning a CD of the (previously mentioned
)downloaded malware tools.

All is working great, thanks a ton for the help!

I've got a few followup questions about the RAID, but will research it
myself first, and come back if I hit a wall.

-- Steve

< Previous Next >