Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
  • From: Allen <slackwarewolf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 05:06:37 -0400
On Thursday 06 April 2006 3:21 am, Gaël Lams wrote:
> > That's pretty much what I said. People seem tot hink they need another
> > distro to learn something. I'm happy to hear at least someone else out
> > there understands.
>
> actually I discovered linux with a slackware 6/7 years ago (it was
> version 7 or 8, cd given to me by a friend, really formative

I use Slackware too. Good distro, and SUSE's Roots are in Slackware. I run a
mixture here:

This box is the first one I ever bought, it's a P3 733 MHz, A built in
CD-Writer Drive and a built in DVD-ROM drive, with 384 MBs RAM, 17 inch
Flatscreen... Paid almost 2 thousand dollars for it when I bought it.

Dual booting Windows 98 SE

And SUSE 9.3 Professional

I use GNOME and KDE and lots of other Window Managers. Surprisingly it doesn't
lag. 98 SE is there for old DOS games even though as you can tell I never
owned a computer back then, but they are fun.

It has a 43 GB HD (Yes, 43, unless Windows is isntalled it says 42.9)

It has a 16 MB Nvidia card.

The box next to it is a nice one, Intel Celeron 2.40 GHz, 128 MB Nvidia Ge
Force FX, 512 RAM, an 80 GB HD and a 160 GB HD, A built in CD-Writer Drive
and a built in DVD-ROM drive, and a 17 inch monitor. Speakers are nice on it
too, two speakers and a sub woofer. Runs Slackware.

Next to that is a Compaq Presario 6000 Desktop, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 512 RAM,
A built in CD-Writer Drive and a built in DVD-ROM drive, 120 GB HD, 17 inch
monitor and 2 NICs, running SUSE.

Then I have a laptop on that desk, which is a Pentium 4 Mobile running at 3.06
GHz, 512 RAM, 30 GB HD, with a 15 inch screen, and an Nvidia Ge Force FX
card. Dual boots Windows XP, SUSE, and I'm putting Slackware on it right now.

Then there is my Mom's old computer, Celeron 433 MHz, 192 RAM, 8 MB Video
card, 80 GB HD... Dual booting Slackware 10.2 and FreeBSD 6.0

All of these share my 6 MB cable net connection with two routers, a Cisco
switch, and Cat5E cable and Cat6. And my Mom's new computer is on there too,
it has a 34 GB HD, 15 inch LCD, Celeron 2.5 GHz, 256 RAM running Windows XP.

So that's my set up here, I had two more boxes but ex GFs decided to take them
when we broke up.

> experience, but, hum, difficult for a newbie like I was) then I move
> to redhat and since 5 years I use SuSe Professional on all my servers
> (9.0 and now 9.3) and most of what I learned has been on SuSe,
> including the use of vi, bash scripts, compilation from source,
> configuration of so many services (from proftp to openldap, qmail,
> .......).

Yea man, SUSE is awesome for learning, it's easy enough that you don't have to
be an expert but they don't skimp you on tools for expert stuff too.

> I still learn every day. I try from time to time other distributions,
> but well, for the time being never had to do something that I wasn't
> able to do in SuSe. Some glitches sometimes, but never really
> importants and the only distribution that would be like I want would
> be a distribution that I would build myself, maybe when I retired in
> 30 years :-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Gaël
>
> > OT:
> >
> > How do you pronounce your name? It seems German and if I'm correct it
> > would sound like "Gah - ayle" in English.. I think lol. I'm terrible with
> > Umlauts unless it's the U.
>
> It's a celtic name (I think it means foreigner, or something like
> that). In french we would pronounce it "ga - el"

Ah, thanks man. So if you're name is Celtic, you can pronounce Samhain
properly right? :) (Everyone screws up the pronouncing of that word)...In the
movie Halloween 2 they miss pronounce it too.

< Previous Next >