Suse-10.0 and Display issues
  • From: "Digvijoy Chatterjee" <digvijoy.c@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:59:55 +0530
Hi List ,
I work in an environment where 5 of us have installed SUSE-10.0 ,All
of us have an intel i845 chipset , and one of these three LCD
monitors, Dell E151Fpb , Acer AL-1512 ,HP -1502

At install time yast2 is able to probe the graphics card and the
monitor properly and run the display at 1024x768 and 16.7 million
colours.However when we play games like torcs/bz-flags which make use
of 3D Accln /direct rendering etc...and quit , the display on the
screen starts scrolling infinitely and resizes itself based on mouse
movement ,even switching to init 3 and coming back to 5 does not
help.The only option is reboot, where i think the bios resets
something and it starts working again.

besides sometimes when we check a box in yast2->h/w->desktop and
monitor to activate 3-D and click test the display blanks ,and so do
Ctrl+Alt+F1-7 VTs

Also once in a while , the display goes off ,even the CTrl+Alt-F[1-6]
screens go off..with the following output on the LCD :"Input not
support."

Again when such blanking happens , the only option left is to
reboot.running sax2 after any of the above scenarios results in a
suboptimal display like (800x600 & 65536 colours)
,it gives the option to change the configuration ,and on selecting
1024x768 ,16.7M ,the console blanks.
What we do now , is forcibly restore xorg.conf like
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.saxsave /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and say startx or init 5

but the whole cycle repeats again and again...when we play games or
when we try to reconfigure X like adding a mouse ,or trying a new
monitor etc.....we are so frustrated that we are planning to go back
to Suse-9.2 which never had such issues.

Any Pointers
Digz

  • No further messages