Re: [SLE] cron not recognizing changes to /etc/cron.d files [SOLVED]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 12:47:37 +0200 (CEST)

The Thursday 2006-04-06 at 20:21 -0800, Scott Leighton wrote:

> cron uses the directory timestamps to decide whether or not
> to reload crontabs. The various important directories that it monitors
> include /etc/cron.d, /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.hourly, /etc/cron.monthly
> and the user crontabs at /var/spool/cron/tabs

We had that discussion some time ago here and reached the same
conclussion. You could have saved time looking it up ;-)

Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:35:53 +0100
Subject: [SLE] Changes in cron.d-files are not detected automatically

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2005-Nov/0732.html

> The crontab program automatically takes care of updating the
> directory timestamp for /var/spool/cron/tabs if a user changes
> their tab with crontab -e.
>
> Some editors, like vim, also change directory timestamps when you
> edit a file, so they have the effect of essentially acting like crontab -e
> would when used on a system cron file saved at /etc/cron*

Some editors cause the timestamp change, some don't.

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2005-Nov/0951.html

> My particular issue is that I've come to expect that the editor
> I am primarily using, mcedit, acts right and changes the directory
> timestamp. Unfortunately, it apparently doesn't always do so (which
> is a whole new issue) since it acts one way on my home system
> and a completely different way on my work system (I've compared
> the ~/.mc/ini files on both systems, they are identical, so I don't
> think it is a config issue, but I'm still looking).

Interesting. Compare the mcedit versions (rpm -q mc) (mcedit --version)

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson