Re: [SLE] Login Script Error??
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:57:35 +0200
On Friday 07 April 2006 19:58, Jagga Soorma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a new linux user and I am currently running NLD9. I recently upgraded
> some packages through red-carpet which were critical and now I have noticed
> that when any user log's into my system including myself, they receive the
> following error:
>
> user@linux:/home/user1> ssh -X linux1
> Password:
> else: endif not found.

Looks like a script error, probably a missing single/double quote (or
something else). This could show up if the corresponding file was loaded in
an editor with syntax-highlighting, e.g. mcedit, kate, kwrite.

> Directory: /home/user1
> Fri Apr 7 10:32:38 PDT 2006
>
> I have looked everywhere

It would have helped if you'd told where you looked. ;) Well, nevermind. :)

> but cannot figure out why we are receiving the
> "else: endif not found." error everytime we login. Any help would be
> greately appreciated.

Try these files:
/etc/bash.bashrc
/etc/bash.bashrc.local
/etc/profile
/etc/profile.dos
/etc/profile.local
/etc/aliases.d/*
/etc/bash_completion.d/*
/etc/inputrc
/etc/profile.d/*
$HOME/.bashrc
$HOME/.bash_logout
$HOME/.bash_profile
$HOME/.inputrc

Don't worry if one of these files does not exist, it does not matter and saves
you checking a file.

Well, the list is quite long. What you also could try is this:
- backup /etc/passwd: cp /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.SAVE
- open /etc/passwd on the target machine
- pick a user (linux1)
- at the end of the line that starts with "linux1:" is probably:
":/bin/bash"
- add " -x" (that is a space, followed by "-x")
- save
- open a konsole-window (usefull because of the large scroll-back buffer)
- log in as you did before ( ssh ... )
- now you see the commands fly by like crazy for a moment
- scroll back and look for the error
- if you can't fine the error, send me the output (edit -> Save History
as..., add that file as an attachment to an email and send the email to my
personal address, not to the list)
- log out
- restore /etc/passwd: cp /etc/passwd.SAVE /etc/passwd

(If you know how to use vipw you should use that instead to edit /etc/passwd)

Cheers,

Leen