Re: [SLE] Re: configuring kmail for gmail (particularly outgoing)
  • From: Arun Mallikarjunan <arun@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:20:49 -0400

Heres how I set it up for my test

Under Settings->configure Kmail->sending->add

Name : <whatever u want it name it>
Host : smtp.gmail.com
Port : 587
Precommand: <leave empty>

Check Server requires authentication
Login: : <emailid>@gmail.com
Password : <your password>

Click on the security tab
Select TLS and PLAIN, or you can click <check what my server supports>

click ok and try it again.

If this doesnt work, i would suggest you try it with another email
client or another email client from behind another ISP.

Arun

wmeler wrote:
> Arun, I saw something just like that. So does that mean it's
> clearly in how I've configured kmail?
>
> Thanks, wmeler
>
> On 4/7/06, Arun Mallikarjunan <arun@xxxxxxx> wrote: try this
> Wmeler. Open Konsole, type in "telnet smtp.gmail.com 587" without
> the quotes. See if it connects, if it does u will see something
> like this
>
> Trying 64.233.185.109... Connected to smtp.gmail.com. Escape
> character is '^]'. 220 mx.gmail.com ESMTP 6sm1647118wrh
>

> that means it is able to connect but theres some configuration
> issue. u can come out of that by press ctrl and ']'
>
> if it doesnt that means ur ISP is blocking it
>
> HTH Arun

- --

> -- Cheers, wmeler

< Previous Next >