Re: [SLE] Re: configuring kmail for gmail (particularly outgoing)
  • From: wmeler <wmeler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:35:25 -0400
Different ports give me different errors. By that, I mean that according to
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287 says to use either
port 587 or 465. However I get different error messages for 465 vs. 587. I
can't even tell which is closer to working, though it looks like 465 is
better. Thoughts?

587's immediate error message:
Sending failed:
Your SMTP server does not support PLAIN. Choose a different authentication
method. The server responded: "5.7.1 Credentials Rejected i20sm807304wxd"
The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the
problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox'
folder.
The following transport protocol was used: wmeler@xxxxxxxxx

465's message (after literally minutes of working):
Sending failed:
Timeout on server smtp.gmail.com
The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the
problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox'
folder.
The following transport protocol was used: tom.reagan@xxxxxxxxx

In deciding to check port 465 vs. port 587, I tried the telnet trick Arun
told me earlier. Alas, both seem to be okay from what I see in telnet:

wmeler@linux:~> telnet smtp.gmail.com 587
Trying 64.233.185.109...
Connected to smtp.gmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.gmail.com ESMTP 9sm616161wrl
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
wmeler@linux:~> telnet smtp.gmail.com 465
Trying 64.233.185.109...
Connected to smtp.gmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

Thoughts? (I am going to put together an email with all of my outgoing mail
settings in a moment). Just hoping somebody knows something about one of
those two error messages.

--
Cheers,
wmeler