Re: [SLE] RHEL : CentOS :: SLEx : ?
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 01:29:11 -0500
On 4/8/06, Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please do not berate me for the following question -- I am only curious:
>
> Just like there exists CentOS as a freely available distribution of RHEL I
> would like to know whether anyone has done a freely available distribution of
> SLES or SLED. I have some people to convert to Linux, but since the SUSE
> Linux 10 distribution is bleeding-edge and not completely stable, I can't
> give them that (they are not computer-savvy to handle crashes etc) so I would
> like to give them a stabilized version. I could of course give them CentOS,
> but I want to give them a SUSE-based system, which is why I ask.

SUSE 10 and SLESx are apples and oranges ... are you looking for an
enterprise server platform? If yes, SLES9. CentOS could be a
reasonable choice, too ...it depends on what exactly you need/want
from the distro

Are you looking for a Desktop? If so .. then CentOS is an inappropriate choice.

Are you looking for a stable OS platform that can do server or desktop
duty? then either the 9X series of SUSE or NLD9 would be fine.

peter